Date: Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Location: Dynamite Grille at Troon North
Price: $38 per person
Take a Tour of Germany with our Five Course meal featuring Homemade Bavarian Pretzels, Butternut Squash, Chicken Schnitzel, Short Ribs Finishing with Grilled Pineapple pound cake.
When I think of Troon North Golf Club, I don’t necessarily think about craft beer. I think about breathtaking views, great customer service and unforgettable playing conditions. They have 36 holes at Troon North, but I prefer the Monument Course for playability. The Pinnacle Course is pretty great, though. It doesn’t matter when you play the golf course, because it will always be in great shape. Another part of the experience at Troon North is the food.
At Troon North Golf Club you will find Dynamite Grille. Dynamite Grille offers an exciting menu as well as a wide range of cocktails and fine wines. They also have a few beers on tap, including a few local favorites. I don’t care when you come to Dynamite Grille, make sure you order the sliders. You won’t be sorry. Oh, and the fries… Some of the best fries in the Valley. But now they are going to start hosting dinners… Beer dinners.
That’s right. Tonight is their first beer dinner, and they are celebrating Oktoberfest featuring several German beers paired with iconic German dishes. Beers being served include:
- Weihenstephaner Vitus
- Bitburger Premium Pils
- Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen
- Weihenstephaner Korbinian
- Pomme De Coeur Liquoreux Ice Cider
(As you all know, I rate my beers on Untappd. Here is what I rated each beer and the tasting notes I included with my check-in.)
- Weihenstephaner Vitus – 4/5 – This is a light beer with a nice carbonation and is easy to drink with just about anything, especially these pretzels. Nice banana notes.
- Bitburger Premium Pils – 3/5 – Light refreshing and delicious.
- Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen – 3/5 – That’s a solid Oktoberfest… But these food pairings are perfect!
- Weihenstephaner Korbinian – 4/5 – That is solid… Nice smoke to it. Paired this with the short rib. Yummy!
- Pomme De Coeur Liquoreux Ice Cider – 4.5/5 – Wait… That’s a cider? No, that’s heavenly! Wow. Great way to end.
But it isn’t a beer dinner without food. The menu featured three courses and dessert. The menu included:
- Reception: Homemade Bavarian pretzel with hot fondue
- First Course: Butternut squash spatezel with brown butter parsley
- Second Course: Chicken spatzel with braised cabbage
- Third Course: Short ribs with butter crushed potatoes
- Dessert: Grilled pineapple sponge
This beer dinner means a lot to me because we were originally going to visit Munich for Oktoberfest this year. But we decided to stay here since we bought a house. Nearly everyone hosted an Oktoberfest this year, including Four Peaks Brewing Company and SanTan Brewing Company. But it was nice to have an authentic German meal paired perfectly with these Germans beers.
By the way, while I was sitting at the bar waiting for the dinner to start, the chef brought me a beer. Talk about service!
The next beer dinner at Troon North will be on Tuesday, November 18, 2015. They will be featuring Arizona breweries including Oak Creek Brewing Co. (Sedona), Lumberyard Brewing Company (Flagstaff), The Phoenix Ale Brewery (Phoenix), Nimbus Brewing Company (Tucson) and Wanderlust Brewing Company (Flagstaff). Come out and taste the Grand Canyon State as they sample some of the best local brewing companies.
Here is the flyer they created for this event.
After the beer dinner, I was sitting at the bar talking to the bartender about everything. He said, “Beer dinners are a trend… Especially in California. We are trying to bring that here to the Valley.” He’s right. They are.